Taken from the bottom of Well Lane, the large building in the centre of the photograph is Brinscall Railway Station. Some freight wagons are visible to the right of the buildings. The Regal cinema is the white building (see above for more info
© www.white-coppice.co.uk 2016         
BRINSCALL STATION
543 feet above sea level, Brinscall Station was the highest point on the Chorley - Blackburn railway line. It was also probably the busiest in terms of passengers and goods. The line had originally been built to move coal from Wigan to Blackburn and East Lancs, however, Brinscall became a focal point for more than just coal. It was a centre for goods such as milk, livestock and other agricultural items. It also had industries close by so items such as textiles, bricks and  quarry produce were handled too. The  goods yard was situated off Railway Road around 150 yards north of the station.
Passengers
Click to enlarge
In the early 1920s there were 14 weekday passenger trains each way calling at Brinscall, and 16 on Saturdays. All were destined for Blackburn to the north and Chorley or Wigan to the south. Today nothing remains of the station, for when the Railway trail was built the embankment on which the station stood was removed. So if you ever walk the path from School Lane, pause and think of the trains that used to run on tracks 20 feet above you! As to the Goods yard, a very small wall that formed the entry gates remain (on Railway Rd).  
c1900 This view looking up School Lane from the corner with Railway Road. The railway bridge is clearly visible. The station was to the right of the bridge. Trains to Blackburn would come from the left. The shop and house to the right was converted into a cinema called The Regal around 1920 by a Mr Jimmy Beaver. It lasted into the 1950s. it was demolished thereafter, and after being waste ground for a while it was converted into a small car park, which is still there to this day.  
The photo to the right was taken c1948 by Jim Lancaster  The hoardings on the wall are advertising the films 'The Fatal Night' and 'Noose' staring Carole Landis. Both films were released in 1948.  Click here for Memories of the Regal and here for Memories of Brinscall  Also well worth a listen is Memories of The Regal on Soundcloud
Click to enlarge
Taken from a slightly different angle, this view shows a little more detail of the bridge and the street. In the early days of photography, word got round if a camera was in the area and everyone came out to have a look - as happened here by the looks of it!. Note he horse beyond the bridge. The shop on the left is a fish and chip shop now
A cold winter’s day at Brinscall Station c1900  This photo is looking north, with the Blackburn platform to the left and the Chorley platform on the right. The steps coming up from Railway Road are between the main building and the small waiting room where the railway personnel are stood.
This photo was taken on 11th April 1957 by HC Casserley from the window of a Blackburn bound train. This photo is at least 57 years later than the previous photo and there are many changes. The waiting room has gone, the signal at the end of the platform has gone and the “Brinscall” sign has moved. However, in both photos there’s a goods wagon in the siding at the end of the platform and obviously still being used as two men are working in it. One last thing to note is the quarry to the right of the main building - still in use to this day  
(© RM Casserley)
This photo, taken sometime between the two above clearly shows the gate giving acces to the steps down to Railway Road. There’s notices on the board and the cabin has been removed
Click to enlarge
This is the only photo I have with a view looking south, with the rooftops of School Lane, Brinscall beyond. The 2nd and 3rd coaches are on the bridge above School Lane. This engine is a  Stanier 2-6-4t No 42632 and it was based at Wigan (27D) in the late1950’s, so this was a common route for it.
The railway through Brinscall was on an embankment for the most part. It began near Brinscall Hall and got higher as it ran parallel with Lodge Bank. It crossed School Lane some 20 feet above on a stone and iron bridge. 150 feet beyond the bridge, and also built on the embankment stood Brinscall Station. Three paths  gave passengers access to the station. There were two sloping paths from School Lane leading up to either platform, and there was also a path from Railway Road, which culminated in a sharp climb up some steps to the platform. Vehicle (and before that horse and carriage) access was by means of the Goods entrance where a driveway did a sweeping curve to the northern end of the Chorley platform  (see map). As was the case at all four stations the main buildings were on the Chorley bound platform and there was a stone built shelter on the Blackburn bound platform. Brinscall was however the only station on the line that was single tier, possibly because it was built on a man made embankment.